Social Platforms 101
In this Thursday’s lecture I alluded to a wide range of web spots that can help you get the feel of social media beyond Facebook.
Visiting these sites and getting around them for a few minutes each will help you take the pulse of the SocMed world. Visit them, look around, try out a few things, create a standard profile, share with others, go back after some time… to integrate them into your approach.
I hear you say: lack of time! OK. You’re right, time is not unlimited. Solution: spend some less time on horizontal social networks such as Facebook, which you already know well. Now, if you’re not a regular FB visitor, just start using social media in your search for information (see “social knowledge” below), and it will save you a lot of time once you become more used to them. So: here we go.
Social News platforms:
Here is an 8-minute video that should light your candle if you really have no clue how this type of content:
You may wonder what you gain by using social bookmarking instead of the bookmarking/favorits in your browser. If so, check this video (in Frengish) from the founder of Yoolink, a French Bookmarking site with promising potential:
- People centric: Femibook (http://femibook.com/home.php) and LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/)
- Object centric: Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/
One reading focus when visiting those sites is how they implement the social media mantra FELESIOPP (Free – Ease – Light – Evolutive – Sharing – Interest – Open – Plenty – Participation). A second one is bearing in mind some essentials in any social media strategy: Listening In, Getting into the Conversation, Contributing Content, Keeping the Conversation Going. Do ask yourselves how the above platforms can contribute to these goals.
Additionally, and for your surfing comfort, I have included here the links to the variety of web sites we commented during the lecture:
- Brahma: http://www.brahma.com/
- Connection: http://connectr.be/
- Peugeot: http://www.tv-en.peugeot.com/
- Make an obamicon with Flash + webcam: http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/entries/new.html
- Starbucks video contest: http://www.starbucksloveproject.com/#/addvoice/
- HBO network: www.HBOImagine.com
- Audi A1 Belgian flash contest platform: http://www.madebybelgians.be/
- Smart Japan: http://www.playsmart.jp/
- Wonderwall Interior Design: http://wonder-wall.com/#project/en
- NY Times AIR reader: http://timesreader.nytimes.com/timesreader/index.html